[Equest-users] Equest, fan coils and Ashrae

Nicholas Lander nicholas.lander at inhabitgroup.com
Thu Sep 2 20:50:59 PDT 2010

Folks,
This may be a stupid question but it has me stumped. I'm primarily concerned
with fan coil units, but any HVAC system raises similar issues:

ASHRAE Appendix G lets you group zones together into thermal blocks as long
as they have the same HVAC systems and loads and orientation. So, for
example, hotel rooms can be grouped as each is identical to the next. The
question is, how do you model the HVAC of this thermal block?

For example, hotel rooms use fan coil units for cooling. A single FCU uses
X-amount of energy based on fan size and pressure drop. So how do you
accurately model fan energy when grouping several zones, and hence several
FCUs, together?

Thanks
Nick