[Equest-users] Review Requested of Research Lab

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 16 07:01:17 PDT 2010

Dear eQuesters:

I am having some problems with the attached model and would appreciate any
feedback.  Perhaps this design can be accurately modeled by eQuest?

The design is a research lab portion of an existing building.  Just 1/4 of the
first floor is being renovated.

The main problem that I am experiencing involves the MAU that conditions the
core area and that provides ventilation air to the reset of the spaces.  A fan
powered ERV is used for heat recovery.

All the areas with the exception of the corridor are conditioned by a VRV heat
pump system modeled as a PVVT with variable speed compressor.  There is existing
hot water fin tube radiation on the exterior walls with the exception of the
northeast and southeast walls that do not have any curtain wall.

The 5 labs and 10 specialty labs located within the main labs are on the east
and south sides.  8 ACH is required.  The 5 labs have a constant fume hood
exhaust flow of 600 CFM each.

The offices on the north and west sides as well as the corridor use 20 CFM per
person for ventilation.  The large lecture room on the south side uses 15 CFM
per person.  This air is exhausted through the ERV.

The MAU supplies 7,500 CFM.  The ERV exhausts 4,300 CFM.  The reset of the MAU
supply air is exhausted through the fume hoods.

eQuest does not seem to correctly calculate the exhaust air to the ERV taking
into account the lab exhaust and the ventilation air supplied to the office
areas.

I am getting some errors that I cannot eliminate and would greatly appreciate
any help.

Thank you,
Paul Diglio