[Equest-users] Window replacement and infiltration rate changing

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:18:30 PDT 2010

If eQUEST changed the infiltration between the two cases you would be able
to see the change in your .inp deck. I'm not sure what the impact of doing
the change using the EEM Wizard vs. simply copying and renaming your input
deck and making the change in it's own .inp deck would be. You could
experiment and see if there's a difference. If it doesn't change your
infiltration I would lower the perimeter infiltration rate conservatively by
a fixed percent. You might Google infiltration rates on line and find some
information related to how much to expect for a single pane window to a
double pane window. Also, be sure to account for your frames, too. Are they
thermally broken? Does the frame material change, etc.

Carol

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:05 PM, YingQi Chen <yingqi.chen at pertan.com> wrote:

> Dear eQuester:
>

> I want to run a simulation by EEM wizard. I want to replace exiting single
> pane, clear windows with double pane clear windows for a school building.
>

> I changed the class type form single pane clear to double pane clear
> windows.  The energy saving doesn’t look good.  I have two following
> questions need someone's guidance.
>

> *Question 1:*
>

> My question is that this EEM will reduce perimeter infiltration rate of the
> building. I am not quit sure if I need to reduce the perimeter infiltration
> rate in the simulation. If, it does, how many percentage of infiltration
> rate do I need to reduce?
>

> *Question 2:*
>

> Does eQuest programmer has already considered this issue and changed the
> perimeter infiltration rate automatically with changing window glass type
> and insulation of the windows?
>

> Yingqi Chen
>

> The PERTAN Group
> 44 Main Street, Suite