[Equest-users] Modeling Windows: Center of Glass vs Assembly

Kelsey VanTassel KVanTassel at sustaineng.com
Fri Sep 17 13:25:18 PDT 2010

There are several ways to enter window properties in eQUEST. If you are in wizard mode, you can choose from the library (but this will not work for LEED compliance models in eQUEST 3.64). The other two choices in Wizard mode are "NFRC U-factor/SHGC" and "U-value/Shading Coefficient". NFRC U-factor/SHGC automatically sets your window frame width to 0 because the value you enter (NFRC rated U-factor provided by the manufacturer or installer) should be for the entire assembly. This is the way to do it for LEED compliance models.

For the "U-value/Shading Coefficient" method, you should enter the center-of-glass U-value including air films. Often, the glass manufacturer lists two U-values, summer and winter. You should enter the average value. You must also enter a frame width and choose a frame type. Both "NFRC U-factor/SHGC" and "U-value/Frame Conductance" map to the simplified input in detail mode.

Do not confuse GLASS-CONDUCTANCE with U-value or U-factor. GLASS-CONDUCTANCE is the thermal conductance of the glass without the external air films. eQUEST calculates this automatically if you have entered your window properties in Wizard mode. If you want to enter window properties in detail mode, you will need to look up the appropriate GLASS-CONDUCTANCE value from the table in the DOE2 help file (attached).

Kelsey Van Tassel
Mechanical Engineer | kvantassel at sustaineng.com<mailto:kvantassel at sustaineng.com>
608.836.4488 ext. 20 | Fax: 608.836.4477

Sustainable Engineering Group
901 Deming Way, Suite 201
Madison, WI 53717
www.sustaineng.com<http://www.sustaineng.com/>