[Equest-users] No Heating from PVVT Heat Pump

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Sep 29 09:33:14 PDT 2010

Eddie,

The first thing I would do is open a new project (or a copy of your
project) in the wizard. Select DX cooling, DX heating and Packaged VVT
Heat Pump for the system type. This will show you the eQUEST defaults
for this system type, which differ in several ways from your overrides,
giving you clues to improving the model performance. The help item on
the PVVT system type gives good information on how these are controlled.
-          Your ground level has floor surfaces that are exterior-type
instead of underground or interior/adiabatic, even for the spaces
located above the basement. Consider changing these to get more
reasonable envelope loads.
-          You have some zones with zonal exhaust met by balanced
infiltration. These zones are likely to have high unmet hours using a
single PVVT system per floor and the same thermostat schedules
throughout. Baseboards or reheat should help.
-          Your southern zones on each floor are listed first, making
them the control zones. Listing the northern-most zones first might
result in fewer unmet heating hours.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114
F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
www.pathfinder-ea.com
P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P