[Equest-users] Building Seperation

modeling at jeisenhart.com modeling at jeisenhart.com
Tue Aug 9 11:45:08 PDT 2011

Aaron,

Thanks!  I haven't seen that document.  I've been pouring through ASHRAE
looking for a solution.
I figured it was a simple answer, just needed to know where to look.

Numbered Page 21...

Defining ‘one building’
Super‐structures can be often be perceived as either a string of
multiple buildings or as a
single building, usually due to light physical connections, such as a
single hallway. Such a
super‐structure may, for the purposes of LEED, be considered a
single building if all the
following criteria are met.
a) Space that can be included in the gross floor area of the project and
serves a purpose
other than parking or the circulation of people is contiguous throughout
the structure.
b) The ability of the LEED certification reviewer to fairly evaluate the
certifying building
is not compromised, nor is undue burden placed upon the reviewer. This
means that all
building components of the LEED project that are addressed by LEED
prerequisites
and pursued credits (systems, materials, etc) can be treated as one, such
that separate
reviews of the same issues are not required for different portions of the
superstructure.
If these criteria are not met, the project will be considered a set of
multiple buildings. The
Application Guide for Multiple Buildings and On‐Campus Projects,
available at
usgbc.org/campusguidance, gives direction on the certification process for
such a project.

Best,
Jesse