[Equest-users] Basic stuff - Infiltration

Robby Oylear robbyoylear at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 09:28:19 PDT 2011

John,

The infiltration as a function of exterior gross wall area is only available
in the wizard.  I don't believe DOE2.2 is capable of having inputs that
relate to the sum of a parameter of it's child components.  The DOE2.2 BDL
Functions do not have any references to child components (i.e. a Wall can
reference a parameter of its parent Space, but a Space cannot reference a
parameter of its child Wall).

Regarding Lawrence's initial question about converting a known tested value
to a value usable within eQUEST, the PNNL Report 18898, Infiltration
Modeling Guidelines for Commercial Building Energy Analysis (
http://www.pnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-18898.pdf)
contains
formula for converting infiltration from a test case to an actual design
case. Based on the example presented in the document, a conversion factor of
0.112 can be derived.

So a tested air leakage of 0.40 CFM/SF at 0.30 in. w.g. would be modeled at
0.045 CFM/SF.  This value is modeled at 100% when building fan system is off
and 25% when the building fan system is on.

Granted, this may be an oversimplification for eQUEST, as the document was
written for EnergyPlus which contains a wind-driven infiltration model, but
it seems to be a good starting point at least if you have test information
available.

*Robby Oylear, LEED**®** AP BD+C*

*Mechanical Project Engineer*

*Energy Analyst*