[Equest-users] Basic Question Regarding HVAC Zoning

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Aug 15 14:09:08 PDT 2011

Hi Cole,

Wizard-level system/zone assignments are not the most intuitive thing.
Whenever in doubt, the best thing to do is to try one option, then
finish the wizards and observe the results in detailed view (look to the
airside component tree).

Your method sounds good.  The zone groups dialog does override the
percent-based allocations if you define something new (i.e. this group
of spaces under one system is 100% office).

Whether you wind up with one system serving a bank of 5 adjacent
offices, or 5 separate systems, or no new systems depends on the "system
per..." option for the system you select in the custom zone dialog
dropdown... ("unintuitive" is the kindest word I've come up with anyway
^_^)!  Play around with that to achieve what you need.  Note that a
typical VAV system should look like one "system" in the component tree
over all its child zones, with the individual terminal units defined at
the zone/space level.

eQuest can handle many unique profiles (the upper limit per project is
more than 1,000), so you could easily model the "flow" of children as
you describe.  That said, the wizards will only generate one set of
schedules (occupancy and otherwise) per shell, and your control over
that output is limited - you are describing a "post-wizard" task right
there.

Funday-Monday!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.