[Equest-users] Basic stuff - Infiltration (UNCLASSIFIED)

Bobby Sy rsg4999 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 04:04:15 PDT 2011

 Hi all,

In the UK when modeling houses, for example, the reduction in infiltration
provides a much bigger return on the overall energy saving – albeit with a
much simpler model engine.  Let me explain.

British Building Regulations demand a maximum infiltration rate of 10m³
/h.m² of wall area (at 50pa) – equivalent to a little over a hole the size
of a 5 peso coin per m².  Reducing the infiltration rate to 3m³ gets an
instant improvement in overall energy consumption of around 3%.  Further,
Germany’s Passivhaus criteria has a maximum heating demand of 15kWh/m².yr –
ditto cooling demand.   To achieve that they regularly build to infiltration
not exceeding 1m³.  That’s difficult to achieve but the point is I don’t see
anywhere near the percentage improvements from similar ‘tests’ with
infiltration with the DOE models.  Why is that?

 Thanks in advance!

-Robert