[Equest-users] roof modeling

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Aug 24 13:59:03 PDT 2011

I have a hunch this is explicitly model-able using eQuest… but my experience with DAYSIM is limited and that may be the better approach.

Here’s what I would do:

If those are vertical fenestrations with tilted opaque surfaces (I’m assuming – the image resolution may be misleading me), and assuming the skylights are within one common zone, then my approach would be modeling the top zone as a single “box” within the wizards, then in detailed and within that zone:

-          Subtract the summed “cut” area of the skylight wells from the horizontal roof surface area.

-          Define (copy) a series of  vertical exterior wall surfaces of the appropriate orientation and dimensions to host the vertical skylights.  Locate and orient them correctly over the roof to accurately model shading of the horizontal roof surface and of each other.

-          Additionally define/copy a series of tilted roof surfaces to model the opaque portions of the skylights.  Again locate with some relative accuracy to avoid over/underestimating the effects of their shading upon other elements.

-          Define the skylights themselves simply as a series of windows in the new walls.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers