[Equest-users] Fenestration and Window to Wall Ratio

Anthony Hardman Anthony at GreenEngineer.com
Tue Feb 8 15:15:58 PST 2011

For LEED purposes you should be calculating the WWR using above grade walls
on a whole building basis, i.e. you don’t need a WWR for each façade to
check against the 40% max glazing requirement.

Anthony Hardman, PE

The Green Engineer, LLP

From: equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of James
Newman
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:30 PM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Equest-users] Fenestration and Window to Wall Ratio

When calculating the window to wall ratio for your baseline building, should
you calculate this percentage as

·         an entire building?

·         each building elevation?

·         every floor elevation?

Has anyone had an interpretation on this issue?  I was reading through the
90.1 User manual and discovered that both above grade walls and below grade
walls should be considered for the wall to wall ratio which leads me to
believe the calculation should be done as a whole building percentage. Just
curious if someone knows the correct answer.

Thanks,

James M. Newman, EIT, LEED AP

project engineer / energy analyst