[Equest-users] Integrated Thermostat and Occupancy Lighting Control

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Fri Jan 14 11:25:11 PST 2011

I have seen a number of projects with an occupancy sensor in each
space.  The sensor turns off the lights and shuts the VAV box to a
minimum when there are no occupants in the space.  This saves
lighting, outdoor air and fan energy.  The same type of sensor is
also used to control fan coils - the outdoor air duct to the fan coil
also has a damper connected to the occupancy sensor.  Schools are
where I have seen this type of sensor used.

At 08:27 AM 14/01/2011, John T. Forester wrote:

>boundary="_000_FE42F90348662D4AA5177E97E20458AB4F73842198JupiterBBVHis_"
>
>Aman,
>
>Appendix G, Table G3.2 allows for either 10% or 15% reductions in
>connected lighting power based on the type of control your proposed
>design includes.  Perhaps increasing the throttling range in those
>spaces by the same amount will provide some savings for you.  If
>your throttling range is 5$B!k(BF, try changing it to 5.5$B!k(BF or
>6$B!k(BF and see how the heating, cooling and fan energy is affected.
>
>My thought is that if an occupancy sensor also adjusts the
>setback/set forward temperature, you can make an educated guess on
>how many degrees the room will vary before another occupant enters
>the room.  Then the room will have to be conditioned back to the
>occupied setpoint (based on your heating/cooling schedule) once
>someone enters the space.  I haven$B!G(Bt vetted this so if someone
>can see an issue with this approach, please chime in.
>
>John
>
>John T. Forester, P.E., LEED AP, Mechanical Design Engineer I BVH
>Integrated Services I 617.658.9008 tel I 617.244.3753 fax I One
>Gateway Center Suite 506, Newton MA 02458 I
><http://www.bvhis.com>www.bvhis.com I Hartford $B!|(B New Haven $B!|(B Boston

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3.