[Equest-users] Solar Panels on the roof

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Fri Jan 28 06:38:09 PST 2011

Jon,

There are a number of tools available to estimate solar PV production.
Since most of my projects are in New York, I have been using NYSERDA's
Clean Power Estimator for ballpark numbers:
http://nyserda.cleanpowerestimator.com/nyserda.htm

You could also look into PV Watts and RETScreen. Search the equest-users
and bldg-sim archives for more suggestions.

In eQUEST, if you want to know the solar radiation on a wall, create a
custom Hourly Report Block. The Variable Type will be Exterior Wall.
There are several hourly results that are solar-related to choose from.
You probably want "Total solar rad on wall after shading (Btu/Hr-Ft2)".

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114            F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com           www.pathfinder-ea.com
<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>
P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P