[Equest-users] WSHP and VRF

Daniel Knapp danielk at arborus.ca
Mon Jul 11 14:10:57 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I am trying to model a VRF system which has indoor units hooked up to WSHPs as the outdoor units.  I am modelling the system as a WSHP with custom curves and am using hourly reports to zero out the simultaneous heating and cooling.  I am running into two problems which are causing very high energy consumption:

1)  The fans in the PVVT systems created to model each terminal unit are running 8760 hours, whereas I would like them to come on only in response to heating/cooling demand.  I have tried setting INDOOR-FAN-MODE = INTERMITTENT with no response.  Is it necessary to change a schedule? and if so which one and how?

2)  There is very high electrical end-use attributed to space heating.  The EIR for heating on these units is 0.18, but the annual electrical energy devoted to heating is 2/3 of the annual gas energy attributed to heating at the boiler which suggests a very poor COP.  Any ideas on why this might be happening?

With thanks and best wishes,
Dan

—
Daniel Knapp, PhD, LEED® AP O+M
danielk at arborus.ca

Arborus Consulting
Energy Strategies for the Built Environment
www.arborus.ca
76 Chamberlain Avenue
Ottawa, ON, K1S 1V9
Phone: (613) 234-7178 ext. 113