[Equest-users] LEED - Residential Lighting

Nathan Miller nathanm at rushingco.com
Tue Jul 26 12:31:15 PDT 2011

I would refer to the ENERGY STAR Multifamily High Rise Program Simulation
Guidelines, which is the energy modeling protocol for the LEED for Homes
Midrise system. In that document there are specific instruction on taking
credit for hardwired lighting fixtures.

Excerpt from that document:

In-unit Lighting

1.      Lighting inside the dwelling units (in-unit lighting) shall be
included in the performance rating calculations.

2.      In the Baseline Building Design, in-unit lighting power density of
1.1 W/ft2 shall be incorporated into the model.

3.      In the Proposed Design, in-unit lighting power density of 1.1
W/ft2 shall be modeled for rooms or portions of the rooms with no
specified hardwired lighting. Where hardwired in-unit lighting is
specified in the Proposed Design, the actual installed lighting power
density shall be modeled. This lighting power density must take into
account the total effective wattage of the installed fixtures and floor
area of rooms or portions of the rooms in which they are intended.
Hardwired fixtures in rooms that will be supplemented by lighting that is
connected to receptacles can be estimated to provide illumination at a
rate of no more than 2 ft2 per Watt.

4.      The savings shall be modeled as described on the In-Unit Lighting
worksheet of the Performance Path Calculator.

5.      Baseline and Proposed Design lighting inside dwelling units shall
be modeled as lit for 2.34 hours per day. Balcony lighting shall use the
same schedule as the dwelling units. No schedule-based performance credits
may be claimed for lighting inside dwelling units.

6.      A custom dwelling unit lighting schedule or dwelling unit schedule
included in the software library may be used with the prior EPA approval,
provided that the total daily lighting energy consumption (kWh) is not
affected by the change.

Here is a link, but beware, this is a more recent version of that document
than LEED for Homes references:

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/bldrs_lenders_raters/downloads/mfhr/
ENERGY_STAR_MFHR_Simulation_Guidelines_V1.0.pdf

The older versions of this document referenced in LEED for Homes Midrise
allowed 2.0 W/SF for items 2 & 3 above, so I guess they are still tweaking
the methodology.

Nathan Miller, PE, LEEDRAP

Senior Energy Engineer/Mechanical Engineer

D 206-788-4577

 <http://www.rushingco.com/> www.rushingco.com