[Equest-users] Internal Loads: Internal Mass

Ross Farris RFarris at glumac.com
Thu Jun 2 14:47:57 PDT 2011

Howdy Y'all,

Wondering if anyone out there has attempted to look at the change in simulation results if you start changing the internal mass properties under the internal loads tab in version 3.64. I have always left these as default because it seems fishy to me and I don't trust it. It would seem that the floor weight should be accounted for when defining the construction properties. Not sure why there would be two places to input this information. I know that the density of furniture COULD have an effect on the HVAC equipment's ability to maintain the desired conditions in certain building types, but I don't know how much the impact would be in the modeling world.

I know this is a feature that Energy Plus is attempting to perfect as well, but quite frankly it all seems a bit bogus to me. In theory this could make our models much more accurate if we spent the time to dial everything in properly, but there are so many other features in eQUEST to worry about that I don't want to waste my time with these categories if they don't make the simulations more accurate.

Any feedback from others experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross Farris
Energy Analyst

[cid:image001.gif at 01CC2133.584E31B0]<http://www.glumac.com/>
150 California Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111
T.  415.398.7667 ext.4083  F. 415.398.0596
Thinking. Inside the building.
 [cid:image002.png at 01CC2133.584E31B0] <http://twitter.com/GlumacEngineers> [cid:image003.gif at 01CC2133.584E31B0] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/34034?trk=tyah>         www.glumac.com<http://www.glumac.com/>
[cid:image004.gif at 01CC2133.584E31B0]<http://www.glumac.com/>