[Equest-users] Exhaust Fan Modelling

Ömer Moltay omoltay at mimtarch.com
Fri Jun 17 07:08:33 PDT 2011

Dear All,

Due to the LEED review comment requiring me to model independent exhaust
fans in the baseline case that have the same airflow and same power, I
found out that the only way to do that is to create a dummy HVAC system
in both models and assign the zones with the exhaust to this system (all
zones with exhaust are plenum zones, btw). This is the only way that I
can assure that the energy consumptions are the same between the
baseline and proposed. Because, especially in my proposed model, I see
that the exhaust fan volumes are always variable and sometimes they do
not work at all. Only by collecting them under a new dummy system can I
get them to work identically to the baseline case (the dummy HVAC
systems being identical in both cases).

Opinions on whether this would constitute a problem or not are appreciated.

Best regards,

Ömer Moltay, LEED AP BD+C, BREEAM Assessor
Mimta EkoYapı
Hekimsuyu Cad. 559. Sk. No:39
34255 Kucukkoy Istanbul Turkey
Tel: 90-212-617-2296