[Equest-users] DHW Savings LEED NC 2.2

Mark Darrall MDarrall at a2so4.com
Thu Jun 2 14:19:22 PDT 2011

Yikes! Is Legionella actually growing in chlorinated public domestic water supplies? I recall hearing of it in non-potable water (cooling towers and drain pans, anyone?)... strong bugs we make these days.

The International Plumbing Code (and maybe others - check your state model codes and state amendments) requires the use of temperature mixing valves in domestic hot water supplies, so you could, theoretically, run 160F water all the way to the fixture (or bank of fixtures) and temper it there, but that's pretty expensive both in equipment and energy.

I'm going to bounce this off a public health researcher I've met - maybe he can share some insight.

MARK DARRALL, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, NCARB
Senior Project Manager

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CC2148.621188E0]

DESIGN ENRICHING LIFE // LIFE ENRICHING DESIGN

A2SO4 Architecture, LLC
Union Station
300 South Meridian Street / 250
Indianapolis, Indiana 46225
TEL  317 388 8850
FAX  317 280 0692
MOB 765 749 0841
www.a2so4.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.