[Equest-users] closed loop cooling tower on the chilled water loop

Neil Bulger nbulger at integralgroup.com
Wed Jun 8 17:06:45 PDT 2011

Hi Patrick,

>From your question below, it sounds like you are trying to model an integrated water side economizer with two independent cooling tower plants, one for the chiller relief and one for free cooling. To my knowledge, you cannot model a cooling tower attached directly to a chilled water loop in eQuest or stage primary cooling equipment in series (cooling tower then chiller).

I would suggest modeling your free cooler as a stand-alone condenser loop and link it to your air system through the water-side economizer coil option, creating two cooling loops essentially.

First, on the water side, create a new condenser loop and attach your dedicated cooling tower. Make sure to add a pump. Adjust the loop control temperature to a low setpoint to allow for free cooling, something like 40F maybe with a load-reset control to allow this to float.

Second, on your air-side system, there is a tab under cooling for an Economizer. Turning this option from no to yes and select a condenser water loop. On the air-side, the air stream is now pre-cooled and can act as an integrated-water-side economizer, effectively. There are some parameters for the fan penalty of the additional coil it adds on this screen that you may wish to set to zero so effectively, the coil does not modify your fan power calc.
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CC25FE.7223A000]

Adding this coil will make your stand alone condenser water loop look like the image below.
[cid:image003.png at 01CC25FC.8D778B70]

This setup will also give you more control of the waterside-economizer setpoint temperature since the condenser loop will be independent of your primary chilled water loop. This may be good, may be bad, depending on how you wish to control the loop setpoints.

I tried this out with a working 90.1 model I have and the new condenser loop shows a cooling load when I look at the PS-H reports. I would suggest playing around with the setup and then run hourly outputs to verify that it is operating in tandem with your chilled water loop as you expect.

Best of luck,

Neil Bulger
Project Engineer
I N T E G R A L