[Equest-users] Question on a L2LHP with a Lake/Well GLHX

Hall, Brendan BHall at karpinskieng.com
Thu Jun 9 06:33:09 PDT 2011

I had a similar situation where I was trying to use multiple L2LHPs to
simulate a multistack system that used a geo loop for heat rejection per
the method that had been posted on the forum. The problem that I found
was that with the loop to loop chiller/heaters it is really hard to
determine how it is calculating the heating efficiency at part load
since there are only part load curves and EIR on the cooling side for
that type of equipment. Also, the heating performance seemed to get
worse as the ground source temperature increased (opposite of what you
would expect). I ended up using the regular heat pump system that has
both heating and cooling curves and EIR inputs. Two other things to
check are using the equipment controls/load management to force the heat
pump(s) to meet the heating load before the boiler and to normalize the
part load performance curves to what conditions the equipment was
selected for (most likely not ARI for a geo loop). Hope that helps.

Brendan Hall, M.Sc.
Mechanical Engineer

karpinski
ENGINEERING