[Equest-users] Exterior Lighting Power Allowances

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Jun 15 05:48:23 PDT 2011

Omer,

I don't see any category in Table 9.4.5 that landscaped areas would fall under. I had the "plaza" discussion in our firm as well, and the general consensus was that a plaza had to be an area intended to be walked on or through, and occupied by people and maybe vendors. A plaza might have small areas of green space, landscaping, trees etc. but that is not the primary function. (Google "plaza" and search images for examples.) If an area fit this description then I would include the total area (including small non-paved areas) in the W/ft2 calculation. If you look at the rest of the tradable surfaces in Table 9.4.5, they are all areas where people would be walking.

On a related note, I received the following comment in a LEED review: "Lighting fixtures cannot be double-counted for different exterior surfaces. When the Proposed building has a canopy or overhang over the main doors, the Baseline calculations can either take credit for the lighting under canopy or for the lighting over main doors, but not both."

Regards,
Bill