[Equest-users] IPLV Curve Fit

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jun 15 16:46:23 PDT 2011

Hi Robby!

Let me back into this with some clarifications for everyone's benefit -
I might be learning something here too!

First, the procedure I'm describing below is specifically to guide
someone in developing an EIR-fPLR, not an EIR-fPLR& dT curve.  In that
point, you and I diverged in how we're advising Lyle to proceed.  The
discussion I attached previously delves into whether one curve type or
another is appropriate for a given situation... but to summarize a long
discussion: a curve incorporating dT is not always critical to modeling
behavior in line with the actual equipment.

Second, below I've copied a library EIR-fPLR curve per your suggestion,
and I've generated a visualization as well for discussion:

[Inserted picture: eQuest library curve input screen illustrating curve
coefficients for an EIR-fPLR curve]

[Inserted picture: Excel plot of that library curve's coefficients]

(x-axis is the PLR, y-axis is the "EIR factor")

I think we all agree, but let's collectively be clear on this point:
This curve does not represent "efficiency."  It is a factor applied
against the EIR specified for the chiller at full load.  As we can
observe, the EIR "correction factor" decreases as part load decreases,
and that agrees with our expectation that the chiller should draw less
energy per unit work (or be "more efficient") at part load.

Efficiency is "what you get out / what you put in," where measures like
kW/ton and EIR are conceptually more of an inverse: "what you put in /
what you get out."

I took a look at the linked discussion Robby, and while I was not privy
to the off-list discussion, I sense we may have a different
understanding here (or we might concur?)... Does all this sit agreeably
with you to this point?  If anything I'm stating seems incorrect, I (and
others) would very much appreciate being corrected, preferably with
illustrations ^_^!

Our syntax might be getting in the way... so let me touch on that as
well:  When I say this library curve is "normalized," it is because the
derived equation returns a correction factor, not an actual EIR figure.
The library curve above is telling us that at 100% loading, the EIR
should be 1.00 x [specified EIR at 100%].  If you were build a curve as
I describe below without first dividing the EIR data points by the 100%
figure (so the factor at 100% is 1.0), you will have coefficients that
will produce actual EIR's for any given PLR, which would be multiplied
for each hour against the specified EIR... The results could either be
wildly off from reality, or could also produce deceptively sensible
behavior as well.  I suppose a curve created this way might be made to
work correctly if you make a point to specify the chiller's EIR as 1,
but I'm not entirely sure something else wouldn't be affected... =)

I do want to support that Robby is correct to assert one cannot build a
performance curve from an IPLV rating alone, but one can work towards a
simple fPLR curve if that's desirable and appropriate for the model at
hand, if you do have the values for each part load point as Lyle is
describing (you cannot extrapolate these from the IPLV number).

A few extra points: I forgot to mention is that EIR-fPLR curves can be
entered as either Quadratic (2nd order) or Cubic (3rd order), so in
excel it would be a good exercise to try out both with your curve-fit
and see what shape fits your data/expectations best.  Also, I may have
somewhat overstated the importance of specifying a chiller at ARI
conditions when using EIR-fPLR curves... but suffice to say - the
library curves are built around ARI conditions, so specifying your
chiller at ARI conditions is always a safe bet if you aren't planning to
make a full set of curves around your design conditions.

Game on!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER