[Equest-users] Boiler HIR

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:23:40 PDT 2011

Hi Omer,

based on my recent (cited) example from the Reviewer's comments on the
baseline natural draft boiler...this is what I learned from my model and
experience going through this last week for my review comments...

   - Natural draft boiler should not show any electric energy use; therefore
   the primary equipment efficiency would be an HIR value of 80% or (1/80%) =
   1.25 input value.  The EIR variable in eQuest defaults to something
   relatively small like 0.4% energy use in my recentl model, but the reviewer
   didn't even like to see such a negligible amount of "nothing" in the EIR
   value which resulted in a very small output number listed under the electric
   Spacy Heating end use category.
   - When I "zeroed" out the EIR input variable (default or not) this
   removed all traces of electric space heating associated with my model.
   - Therefore; for your baseline boiler you will need to use HIR = 1.25,
   EIR = 0.0 and then model your proposed boiler design as designed so that you
   may take advantage of any furhter potential energy savings if you want.
   -

Does this help you?  Cheers,
Pasha