[Equest-users] LEED Review Comment on U-Value Input Method

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 23:12:57 PDT 2011

Hi Bruce,

I enjoyed your response and support all your comments.   I myself as a
modeler will always choose to use the U-value input method whenever I can
use this legitimately (i.e. something else isn't pushing me or mandating I
use layers method.)

Why- you ask?   Pasha chooses this method for a couple of reasons:

   - most of my models are already set with thier construction choices (with
   or without massing), and therefore when I am building a compliance model (no
   opportuntity for design analysis) then why take the extra time to input
   layers-by-layers-by-layers when I know what the final construction choices
   are.   NOTE, none of these construction choices are ever mine....the
   baseline is set by the minimum assembly U-value listed in the
   B-tables...based on this given value, why should I waste my time building up
   a layer-by-layer input....ASHRAE Standard 90.1 gives me the overall assembly
   U-value that they want to see and therefore I am going to choose to use
   thier data that they offered to me.
   - The next reason I choose the U-value method is because in terms of
   input time I like the one value input method.   Now you might think this is
   funny of me.....but it is also a part of my QC procedures...
      -  when I take-off my proposed design constructions (wall, roof,
      etc.)   I always open up my second laptop and open a new file in eQuest
      where I take about 5-10 minutes and build-up the construction
layers in the
      wizard so that I can double check what the output U-value is for the
      assembly based on the DOE-2 calculations for the
layers-by-layers....  most
      of the time I come soooooo very close to the layer-by-layer
U-value that was
      calculated and so then I can choose to use a U-value method of input, and
      not waste anymore time in my model with
layers-and-layers-and-layers....too
      much extra information for me to visually manage; therefore I choose the
      least tedious method of one input value = U-value method.

Just because I choose to use the U-value input method, doesn't automatically
imply that I took the lazy route, or didn't even consider or calculate the
layers-by-layers....THAT would be presupmtuous of the reviewer.     That is
my "style" of modeling...I can't explain it nor should I have to justify it
to any reviewer why I choose that style of modeling...as long as I am
verifying that my output simulation results are indeed in the correct order
of magnitude and telling the "correct story" to my clients based on
engineering theory & calcs, then who is anyone else out there to tell me
that my style of modeling is wrong or inaccurate?

Now this brings me to the point of arguing the massing and sans
massing....IT DEPENDS!!!!   If you have a project with massing that plays a
significant role in load shedding and such, then the simulator would be
ignorant to not use layers-by-layers...because as a trained engineer this
simulator should know if this does or doesn't make a difference in thier
analysis.    ---The reviewer shouldnt have to worry their
pretty-little-heads about any of this because it is the responsibility of
the simulator to make sure that the simulation output is as close to
accurate as is possible with the nature of these programs we use.

However; if I choose (as an experience simulator and trained HVAC engineer)
that I don't want to include massing effects in my envelope constructions
because there is no opportunity or potential savings to be demonstrated from
the lack of such performance then who is the LEED reviewer to make that
engineering decision for me???  Again I would feel that this is very
PRESUMPTUOUS of them to blanket that (or any statement to me) especially if
they intend to "reform Pasha's style of modeling."

I've been able to gain the experience I have and submit successful LEED
models based on my professional education, training, testing, and
professional ethics in my work and projects.   Based on this, it becomes my
sole right and my sole responsibility to the industry to make sure that
'Pasha's style of modelling' is in conformance with any standard or program
that wants to outline specific rules of engagement.

Until the point in time that any one authority states:   *"you must use the
Layer-by-layer method for inputs in your simulation tool."*  Then I am
allowed to reserve the right to use whatever input method that I deem is
best representation for my client's project and the modeling intent that
I've been asked to perform.   *And as long as I have a sound engineering
foundation to stand on*, then my decision and approach will have a 99%
chance of being the most accurate for my client.   The 1% outlier risk of
not falling into conformance rests on the "risk" of which LEED reviewer is
assigned to reviewing my model...

    Hopefully it will be a reviewer that can discern the truth of a good
energy modeler in the work that I produced for them to reiview.   If they do
pick on something that is allowed to be open for interpretation (as is this
case of massing vs no massing), then AS THE REVIEWERS THEY ARE WRONG for
trying to mandate something that thier organization has stated to be "open
for interrpretation."

IMHO---(take it with a grain of salt if you wish).....IF GBCI wants us to do
something as EAc1 energy modelers then they need to state it in Black &
White AND it has to be offered to all of us simulators at NO ADDITIONAL
COST----you can't make me comply with something but only provide me with the
compliance data if I pay for the information....that is being an Industry
Bully.

DEAR USGBC/GBCI--if you want me to do something specific for my energy
models then please publish it clearly and *at no cost *for all of us EAc1
energy modelers to follow.    Only a true monopoly organization
*expects us*to follow thier rules and pay the cost to follow thier
rules at our own
expense.     This type of "mandate" from any one organization makes them out
to be BULLIES to the little people like us.

Pasha