[Equest-users] Modeling Typical IT Rooms AC Units

Andy Phelps aphelps at barnesanddodge.com
Tue Jun 28 08:56:06 PDT 2011

Will:

I couldn't agree more with you on Section 2.3.  However, what matters is not what I think, but the LEED/USGBC review team.

In my experience, I've modeled data rooms in offices as a System 3/4 for the baseline and as scheduled for the design case.  I've modeled small rooms with a mini-split DX unit, and also for larger rooms with CRAC style units (Liebert, DataAire, etc).  I haven't had any issues with this in the review process.  In addition, from some internet research, it appears that architects/engineers are getting large-scale data centers certified, so they must be wanting us to split data center HVAC usage from server/process usage.

Sorry that I do not have any more insight than this, but I do understand your frustration with data rooms/centers and applicability to 90.1.

I would also point you to some addenda for 90.1 that does mention data centers and outlines some requirements (addenda BU).  It looks like these Liebert units would meet the requirements for efficiency in this addenda.  For the purposes of LEED certification, I would caution to read all addenda, since LEED doesn't let you pick and choose addenda, there may be some addenda out there that might hurt your energy savings percentage.

Andy