[Equest-users] FW: additions in detailed mode for ease ofsimulation(kirti pabrekar)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Mar 16 14:47:43 PDT 2011

All,

It's been brought to my attention that the response below would be more
helpful to current and future list subscribers if formatted differently,
as colored text doesn't make it into everyone's inbox, and more
importantly the archives...

Following is same response, reformatted.

~Nick

---

I have simulated a single residential floor plate with systems,
construction, loads etc. Now I need to simulate the entire building ie
all the 37th residential floors and the gym level. We are considering
not to simulate the podium parking levels since no mechanical systems
will be provided. the only loads will be the electrical lighting loads.
could this be counted as the EPD?

[RESPONSE] I'm used to defining unconditioned parking garage lighting
loads without an additional shell - just schedule those as direct loads
to the meter.  I can't speak to EPD...

Questions for further model development

1.      how do i simulate the entire building with gym level without
going into the wizard mode as we shall lose all input data.

[RESPONSE] Save a copy of original (A), open copy (B), go back to the
wizards and define any new shells/HVAC systems per usual with unique
prefixes and at appropriate heights (z-coordinates), save, close, open
the original (A) and import the copy (B) in detailed mode [attached
discussion walks you through the importing process], review the added
shells/systems and delete/reassign systems and schedules as appropriate.

we have used floor multipliers in the parametrics and performed
simulation. would this be correct result for the residential component.

[RESPONSE] Floor multipliers are the way to go conceptually, you should
be able to define this without parametric runs however - double click
the shell in the component tree to edit that figure:

[ATTACHED IMAGE:]

2.      how do i add the gymnasium floor level to this model in the
detailed mode. can i use the INP file or should i go on to create the
floor by create child component way. this is a bit difficult method. was
wondering if there is any easier method. i have tried to read the INP
file..to check were the iterations can be made with regards to
this....but it looks too complicated and i cannot understand where to
pitch in my changes....any guidance on this front...

[RESPONSE] Import it - see above and attached.  [ATTACHMENT]

3.      Does the solar radiation considered by eQUEST at 35th floor is
different that the solar radiation considered at 10 th floor.

[RESPONSE] I'm not sure of this - I do know eQuest can consider
elevation for wind speed/infiltration calculations, but I haven't read
anything that would make me assume solar radiation is handled
differently than at the first floor... hopefully others may comment to
this?

4.      the roof of the 4th parking podium is a large landscape for the
tower. where in the model do we input the exterior lighting loads and
podium lighting loads. i understand that the consumption by these loads
is shown as the exterior usage.

[RESPONSE] See attached recent discussion - direct exterior loads on the
meter. [ATTACHMENT]

5.      how to create the energy meters in the model..and how / where to
assign them...i have never tried them before, but need to get to use
them now...please elaborate at extent.

[RESPONSE] Please elaborate on what you're trying to accomplish - there
are different sorts of meters... I always define utility meters rates
through the wizards and wouldn't recommend any other way.  Sub-meters
are sometimes made for various purposes... again see attached
discussion... [ATTACHMENT]

6.      what are global parameters?

[RESPONSE] Re: "Modeling Procedures Quick Reference.pdf" under "Help."

7.      i have realised that once the model is simulated, a half dozen
more interlinked files are generated, please throw light on the
significance of these....how to derive out of these files?

[RESPONSE] What are you trying to derive?  Here's a recap of the
critical ones:

- PD2 - user inputs for use in wizards

- INP - building inputs post-wizards (generated by wizards)

- PRD - parametric run definitions

- SIM - Simulation results

- BDL - Building Description Language - this is a file created on doing
a simulation - it processes the .inp line by line.  If an error stops a
simulation you can usually figure out what the problem is by checking
this file out.

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers