[Equest-users] Blind controls in eQuest/ DOE2

Shuichi Hendrickson Shuichi.Hendrickson at erm.com
Thu Mar 3 19:23:20 PST 2011

Hi Carol and Paul,

Thank you for your responses.

Carol,

I think I have the schedules input correctly. To clarify see my notes below.

     *1154 *    SLAT-SCHEDULE    = "E blind slat annual"    [This is the annual schedule name; week and day schedules are defined accordingly]
     *1155 *    SLAT-ADJ-TYPE    = SCHEDULE                [This designates the control type = SCHEDULE; the options are SCHEDULE, SOLAR INTENSITY, and ROOM TEMP]
     *1156 *    BLIND-SCHEDULE   = "E blind deploy annual"  [This is the annual schedule name; week and day schedules are defined accordingly]
     *1157 *    BLIND-ADJ-TYPE   = SCHEDULE                [This designates the control type = SCHEDULE; the options are SCHEDULE, SOLAR INTENSITY, and ROOM TEMP]

The error says
BDL error: Error in blind control: Adjustment type SCHEDULE for BLIND should be SCHEDULE
It seems that this is correctly defined, so Im wondering if this could be a bug. Any additional thoughts on this are highly appreciated.

Paul,

I've used the interior shade functions before, but my understanding is that this is more for curtains and more uniformly diffuse/opaque shades. Do you know if it is possible to model the changes in visible light using the shade functions? I wanted to use the blinds controls so I could get a better handle on the synergy between the blinds and the daylight dimming light controls. The shade schedule seems to be used only for describing changes in solar gain.
 I guess Im kind of answering my own question here, but I did come across a definition that can be used to schedule the VLT (below). I guess to do this, I need to get a better handle on the relationship of VLT to slat angle.  Have you dealt with this before?
VIS-TRANS-SCH

Takes the U-name of a schedule (of TYPE=MULTIPLIER) that gives the daylight transmittance of the window shading device when it covers the window; required for daylighting calculation if SHADING-SCHEDULE is specified. (If WIN-SHADE-TYPE = MOVABLE-INTERIOR or MOVABLE-EXTERIOR, the program will use a transmittance multiplier value of 1.0 when the shade is retracted.) Typical visible transmittance values for translucent drapes and shades are given in Table 42. A transmittance schedule is used, rather than a single fixed value, to allow seasonal change in the transmittance of the shading device. This schedule is used only for windows in a space with DAYLIGHTING = YES. For these windows, be sure to specify not only VIS-TRANS-SCH, but also SHADING-SCHEDULE (and CONDUCT-SCHEDULE if the change in window conductance with the shade in place is significant). In the daylighting calculation, shading surfaces are modeled as perfect diffusers with a daylight transmittance that is independent of angle of incidence. For this reason, slat-type devices, such as Venetian blinds, whose transmittance is a strong function of the angle at which light enters the device, should be modeled as a blind layer (see WINDOW-LAYERS keyword, above, and WINDOW-LAYER command).

Any additional thoughts on this are highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Shuichi