[Equest-users] Earth Air Heat Exchanger (EAHX, EAHE) - simulation results import to eQuest?

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Mar 3 13:30:15 PST 2011

Xiangjin,

I have looked at modeling ETAHE for eQUEST and did not come up with a
solution. You could create a custom weather file that uses the earth
tube hourly temperatures as outside air temperatures to model the effect
on the AHU, but then of course you are altering the building envelope
heating/cooling loads.

You could try an exceptional calculation method. Using a spreadsheet,
use the difference in temperature between hourly earth tube inlet and
outlet temperatures, and the hourly flow rate, to calculate the energy
added to or removed from the air. Then use the heating/cooling
efficiencies of the AHU to determine the energy saved.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114                F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com           www.pathfinder-ea.com
<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>
P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P