[Equest-users] Editing eQuest Weather Files

Varkie C Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Tue Mar 29 11:31:05 PDT 2011

Someone (like Joe Huang, Jeff Hirsch) should write a program to read the Excel file and write it into a text file using the NCDC 80-column format and then convert it back to "weather.bin".  It would be very useful.
You can order NCDC weather file (they will send you any 10 consecutive years) for about $200 and use PKAFT to convert to "weather.bin".  The webpage http://bepan.info/weather shows how to convert NCDC packed 80-column TEXT DATA to "weather.bin" and back to TEXT TABLE which can then read into EXCEL  See  9 - Weather _NCDC.tpe to DOE2.bin to Tables-Charts
The excel file can be saved as text file but I don't think PKAFT can convert it back to "weather.bin".  The NCDC format has been changed.  Example: the DP column in NCDC is now missing and other calculated results have been added and all the columns have been rearranged.
I have just added a zipped file CONVERT EDITED EXCEL FILE "Weather.xls" BACK TO "Weather.bin" to the website http://bepan.info/weather showing my crazy attempt at converting the Excel file back to "weather.bin".  It is 9 MB. Double click on it.  It produced a "weather.bin" that was 145 KB instead of 146 KB and I get a "end of file" message.  I decided not to figure out what was missing and gave up.  It would be quicker and easier to write a program that does the conversion.
Under http://bepan.info/engg-calcs you will find Excel psychrometric programs.
Varkie
Hi Rohini, all,

I actually haven't had too much success with the .epw method. Using the guide that Ashu had linked me seems quite foolproof now that I have obtained the add-in (psych.xla) that Paul referred me to. However, the excel template that Jeff Hirsch (from DOE2) made is still missing. I think if it could be found, my problem would be resolved.

I will try the .epw method again, but with the type of data I have available, I believe the .txt to .bin method would be more suitable to my needs. Again, this is contingent on the fact that "custom_eQuest_Weather_data.xls" can be made available.

Thank you all for your feedback and I look forward to hearing back again soon.