[Equest-users] Evaporative Cooling Problems

Adam.Boyd at CH2M.com Adam.Boyd at CH2M.com
Tue May 17 11:11:56 PDT 2011

I am trying to model a building with a direct evaporative cooler that serves multiple zones.  My problem is that I am getting several hundred hours of unmet cooling loads per zone.  Using hourly outputs I have calculated the effectiveness of the cooler based on supply temperature and outdoor dry and wet bulb temperatures.  The effectiveness for the cooler maxes out at 51%.  I ran multiple simulations, increasing the effectiveness input for the cooler from 0.1 up to 1.0.   For each input the effectiveness I calculated from outputs increased until about 0.5.  If I input anything higher than 0.5 it does not affect the cooler performance and the max calculated effectiveness is still only 51%.

Are there any ideas as to what is causing the evaporative cooler to lose effectiveness and not meet the loads?
Thanks for the help.

Adam Boyd