[Equest-users] Low-E Window Film

Raphael, Dan draphael at IDS-TROY.COM
Fri May 27 07:42:19 PDT 2011

Has anybody successfully modeled window film installation using eQuest?
Specifically, I am trying to model the Vista EnerLogic low-e film (since
it is eligible for tax incentives).  I've used Optics5/Window5 to
construct the glass type using the EnerLogic applied film (NFRC ID#
2545) and imported that into eQuest.  When I test this retrofit in a
sample building, the savings are not what I expect (~65 yr. payback,
assuming $7 installed cost).  I would expect to see a payback somewhere
around 10-15 years.  What bothers me is that in the model, the heating
load increases, which would be expected for a typical window film, but
this film claims to have savings in all seasons due to the ability to
trap heat in the building.  If anybody has had any success in modeling
these window films and could provide me with step-by-step instructions
or any guidance, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan Raphael

Building Performance Analyst

Integrated Design Solutions

Architecture, Engineering, Interiors & Technology

1441 W. Long Lake, Suite 200

Troy, Michigan 48098

tel:   248.823.2171

fax: 248.823.2200