[Equest-users] Supply Fan Power

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri May 20 06:49:56 PDT 2011

Color me concerned... This reviewer may have an argument but I can't
reason it.  I think he/she may be leading us off the path regarding what
the baseline fan power calculations apply to...

You've got exhaust fans in a proposed model matching the construction
documents.  Sounds okay so far...  Going through this line by line:

*         I would start with directing the reviewer to the glossary.
The entry for "HVAC system" reads: the equipment, distribution systems,
and terminals that provide, either collectively or individually, the
processes of heating, ventilation, or air conditioning to a building or
portion of a building."

o   Clearly, an exhaust fan providing ventilation to a building
independent of other systems is an HVAC system.  The reviewer's phrasing
of "..independent fan systems of the HVAC systems" is a
misinterpretation.

o   Building on the understanding that an independent exhaust system is
a complete HVAC system, Table G3.1.10.a is as far as you need to go for
support of following the construction documents.

*         I'd again reject the reviewers' choice of words:  Exhaust fans
are not "independent fans of the HVAC systems."

*         Sections G3.1.2.8 and G3.1.2.9 agreeably apply only to
baseline systems.  They have no bearing on the topic at hand (what goes
in the proposed model), unless your baseline fan capacities/efficiency
calcs didn't follow the instructions.

*         The request to document the independent fan systems' energies
separately is not new.  May as well do that after all's said and done.

That's my initial take.  Thoughts, anyone?

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers