[Equest-users] Roof conduction

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Tue May 31 12:24:58 PDT 2011

Shalini,

I have not looked at the model but the issue will be that you have
defined a plenum.  The LS-C report is showing only conditioned spaces --
this is good because the area for plenums & unconditioned spaces are not
included in the area shown in LS-C -- but it does lead to the result you
are seeing -- unconditioned & plenum area conduction losses are not
included.

The next logical question is why isn't is then shown in the LS-C as an
internal wall conduction loss through the ceiling to the plenum.  In the
Loads portion of the program, it does not know what the space
temperatures are as those are based on the setpoints which are defined
as schedules in the system portion of the program.  So, it uses the
space design temperature as an initial estimate.  Typically, this
temperature is the same for the plenums and the spaces -- so no internal
heat transfer in the LS-C and other Loads level reports.

In the system run, the plenum temperature does drop and the impact of
roof insulation is calculated.  You can convince yourself of this by
changing the roof R-value and seeing the impact.

Hope this helps.

Brian