[Equest-users] Possible to combine zones from different shells into one zone?

Winston Shurtz wshurtz at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:57:11 PDT 2011

I have a building that requires multiple shells.  It is a two story building, that requires different zoning on each floor.  My question:  Is there a way to combine zones from different shells into a single zone?  For instance, I have two spaces (each space is its own shell) that are not right next to each other, but they have the same orientation, hvac system type, etc.  I would like to combine them into a single zone because they have the same space type.

I was just hoping to find a way to make my model more accurate.  Instead of each space (and corresponding zone) gettings its own RTU, I would like them to share the same RTU, and don't know any other way to have them do this other than making them into a single zone.  But, I don't know how to accomplish this or know if it is really even necessary.  I know it would be easier if they were part of the same shell, but this isn't possible due to the geometry of the building, etc.

It just doesn't seem that two hvac units would be as efficient as one unit, but this is the only way I currently know how to model it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Winston