[Equest-users] Using global parameters to streamline modeling

Robby Oylear robbyoylear at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 08:13:29 PDT 2011

Dane,

What I'm discussing is in the Detailed Edit mode.  Part of our efforts to
streamline energy modeling has been to stay out of the wizard as much as
possible.  We mainly just use the wizard to setup the building shell, define
slab penetrations, and infiltration rates (i.e. things that are hard to do
in detailed edit mode).

Under the Building Shell tab in, select any space within your project.
 C-ACTIVITY-DESC is located here:
[image: image.png]

We use a three letter acronym to describe the space type.  In the example
above this space is a corridor.  You can then create conditional statements
for most of the Space and/or Zone parameters based on this acronym.

For example, a user default expression for equipment W/SF can be written as
such:
if(#L("C-ACTIVITY-DESC")=="COR")
then (0.25) else
no_default
endif

These statements can have varied levels of complexity due to the nature of
referencing the different variables in eQUEST using the #BDL functions.  For
instance, in the above example I'm referencing the local BDL keyword
"C-ACTIVITY-DESC" by using the BDL function #L which references a local BDL
keyword.

Hope this helps,

*Robby Oylear, LEED**®** AP BD+C*

*Mechanical Project Engineer*