[Equest-users] wwr calculation

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 08:56:43 PDT 2011

Robby---

No, I don't model adjacent walls as exposed unless they are exposed...you
can detail adiabatic constructions if you want, don't you do this?

Also--I agree that if there are conditioned spaces in commercial parking
garages that are *included in the LEED project definition*, however if the
parking garage is not included for LEED than I have the right to omit it
from my model as I see fit (as the professional simulator of course.)

Therefore, we are arguing professional judgements of opinion, where as this
initial discussion uncovered that Deepika was referencing a commercial
building model Energy Standard, where he should have been referencing a
Residential Energy Standard.

So why has this discussion turned so wildly away from the subject at hand?
I model my commercial garages correctly when they are required no matter
what compliance program I am modeling for (i.e. LEED, Oregon ETO guidelines,
Title-24, Savings by Design, etc.)

My point about mechanical cooling is that if James is parking his car in a
garage that has windows, doesn't the solar load into the garage space
warrant that some amount of mechanical cooling is needed in his parking
garage at work.  I can't imagine a sealed parking garage with windows not
needing any mechanical cooling, otherwise I am sure that it would be like a
Sauna when James leaves work at 6:00pm on the hottest day of the summer in
the humidity-laden climate of Arlington, VA.

My guess--and it is purely a guess, based on realistic assumptions and whole
building science that his commercial/public parking garage at work has some
sort of "open air" concept or extremely MASSIVE ventilation fans, to keep
the conditions of the parking garage thermally acceptable AND ventilated so
as not to "trap" all of the CO from the car exhausts that are entering and
leaving the garage throughout the day.      If this is the case, or
something similar, then it would not make his parking garage a very
sustainable or energy efficient building due to the additional energy needed
to manage the thermal temperatures inside and the toxic exhaust fumes that
are now contained with in a parking garage that has windows.

let's keep this discussion friendly and professional and not get too far off
the original topic of discussion where the garage that Deepika was referring
too was not a commercial parking garage---it is an attached garage to a
private residence, in which he is not modeling for LEED for Commercial
buildings and in which the WWR value of 40% does not apply to his project
requirements.

Pasha  :)

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Robby Oylear <robbyoylear at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with James.  Modeling the garage is necessary to model the
> associated conditioned spaces within that floor (heated storage rooms,
> elevator lobbies, occupiable space adjacent to the garage).  Obviously the
> garage is modeled as unconditioned, so I'm not sure what your point about
> mechanical cooling is.
>
> When you exclude the parking garage from your model do you model all of the
> adjacent spaces with exterior walls adjacent?
>
> -Robby
>

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Pasha Korber-Gonzalez <
> pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do they provide mechanical cooling for your garage at work?   or does it
>> have windows with no roof area....I'm sure your garage at work is not
>> considered a "regularly occupied, fully conditioned (i.e. T-stat controlled)
>> space".
>>
>> Pasha
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:51 AM, James Hansen <JHANSEN at ghtltd.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I model garages all the time.  I haven't done a building in a while that
>>> didn't have some sort of conditioned space in the garages that needed an
>>> adjacent unconditioned space (but without exterior walls) to properly
>>> analyze.  Plus for LEED these days, they want all of your building areas in
>>> the model to match those entered by the architect in the PI forms.  So you
>>> are supposed to model garage elevator lobbies, semi-heated mechanical
>>> spaces, main electric rooms, unheated garage space, etc.  ****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> Also, my garage at work has windows :)****
>>>
>>> ** **
>>>
>>> -James****
>>>
>>> ** **

>>> situations...  Parking garages are either open air, or underground (without