[Equest-users] Radiant barriers in Walls

Pete Rasmussen peterasmussen at architekton.com
Mon Sep 12 16:13:14 PDT 2011

I am trying to model the effects of placing a foil radiant barrier in a wall.  I have a project where I want to use a metal panel system on the outside surface of the building, but here in Arizona, the metal essentially gets "superheated" and performs poorly as a cladding material.  I would like to see if there is a difference if I place a radiant barrier between the metal panel system and the exterior sheathing to reflect the heat of the metal panel.  Anybody have any suggestions as to how to model that construction?  Is there a way to create a new "radiant barrier" under the materials tab to then created a layered construction with?  I have a number of parametric runs which have analyzed different envelope constructions to see how efficient we can get the building.

Thanks,

Peter Rasmussen

ARCHITEKTON
464 S Farmer Ave, Suite 101, Tempe, AZ 85281
T 480 894 4637  F 480 894 4638
DL 480.466.7132
www.architekton.com<http://www.architekton.com>