[Equest-users] - LEED and ASHRAE Interpretation

Donovan Aguirre dnvan_ag at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 23:12:58 PDT 2011

Hi everybody,

I am working on a LEED CS project and I have to simulate a bus station
complex. The complex consists of several buildings and has a gross land area of
46,542 m².

The buildings have a gross floor area as follow:

Main Building:                                60,000 m²
          with a footprint
of  20,000m² (has 1 underground floor and 2 above grade floors)

Pumphouse:
5 m²                    (less than
2% gross land area) MPR 7 - Based on gross land area for the overall complex

Administrative Building:
96m²
(less than 2% gross land area) MPR 7 - Based on gross land area for the overall
complex

2 x Guardhouses
:
8m² each             (less than
2% gross land area) MPR 7 - Based on gross land area for the overall complex

2 x Waste Water Treatment Plants: 487 m²
each        (less than 2% gross land area) MPR 7 -
Based on gross land area for the overall complex

Since the building won’t be
conditioned, I am using the same HVAC system in the baseline case and proposed
case.

My questions are:

1 – Do I have to model each building separately? If so, do I have to consider
the loads in the small buildings, since the ones with less than 93m² won’t
comply with the MPRs.

     Also, the water pumping system is in the pump house,
will it be excluded?

2 -  ASHRAE 90.1 - G3.1.1 says that I have to use an HVAC system per floor
. Do I have to use one system for the tenant areas and another one for the
common areas, for each floor? And if so, do I have to calculate the type of
each system based on each individual area?

3 - Do I have to separate the energy consumption of the HVAC system for tenant
areas from that of common areas ? If so, how do I add independent electric
meters?

4 – Is it really necessary to separate the thermal blocks for each orientation
as in Table G3.1 item 8b. My building has a lot of 90° corners and if I
separate tenant areas from non-tenant areas, perimeter from core and I do the
G3.1 8b thing, I end up with a lot of zones in eQUEST and some of them are
really tiny.

I will truly appreciate your help

Thanks

Donovan.