[Equest-users] automatic calculation of peak demand month for minimum qualifiers?

James Hess JHess at tmecorp.com
Wed Sep 7 09:18:01 PDT 2011

My $0.02 on this is that I've always done this type of calc (i.e. ratchet) in Excel using data from eQuest.  It's just easier from my perspective to do in Excel (since we already had worksheets set up to do this).

However,  eQuest appears to have some capabilities in this area to model a ratchet clause in the rate tariff.  I've just never used them.

Click on the electricity rate, then go to Ratchets, then create a new one.

[cid:image006.jpg at 01CC6D4F.CDD36910]

This new ratchet shows up in the menu on the left just under the block charges.

[cid:image003.png at 01CC6D4F.CBFBE9F0]

Click on Ratchet 1 and then edit as needed to define the demand ratchet properties.

[cid:image007.jpg at 01CC6D4F.CDD36910]

It looks like you can assign a schedule to control when the ratchet is applied (i.e. June to Sep).

RATCHET-SCH
U-name for a SCHEDULE which defines the period over which the ratchet will be calculated. If not specified, the ratchet is assumed to be active all hours. This keyword is useful when one ratchet applies to winter demand, and a different ratchet to summer demand. On-peak/off-peak ratchets can also be defined. The ratcheted demand will be the maximum demand encountered during the scheduled period. If NUM-MONTHS is less than the period defined in the RATCHET-SCH, then a sliding ratchet will occur during the scheduled period. For example, assume RATCHET-SCH is defined to be active from April through October, and NUM-MONTHS is 4. If the current month is June, then the billing demand will be the maximum of the current month's peak, May's, April's, or October's.

Hope this helps!  : )

Regards,

JAH

James A. Hess, PE, CEM, BEMP