[Equest-users] Roof vs Exterior Wall Load

Jeremy Poling Jeremy.Poling at transwestern.net
Thu Sep 8 08:49:36 PDT 2011

For what it's worth, the example LS-F report in the help file
documentation also shows only 0's in the roof component.  From within
eQuest, go to the Help menu, select DOE-2 Help.  Expand the "Volume 4:
Libraries & Reports" and then the "Reports" topics.  LS-E and LS-F are
under the loads reports.  The text says the monthly space components are
summed across spaces.  The definition of the LS-F report excludes plenum
spaces:

This report gives a breakdown of loads on a monthly basis for the entire
building, according to the source of the load. The loads in
unconditioned spaces (ZONE-TYPE = UNCONDITIONED or PLENUM) are not
included; all entries are in millions of Btu/month.

This just explains why they don't show up in the LS-F...I believe that
the mechanism used by eQuest to account for heat gain in the plenums is
to apply that heat gain to the return air before the system, thereby
increasing temperature, humidity, etc. in the RA stream due to the loads
in the plenum spaces connected to a given system.  Someone from Hirsch
can jump in if I got that wrong.

I'm curious if anyone else has dug deeper on this than I have, though?

Jeremy R. Poling, PE, LEED AP+BDC