[Equest-users] Equest under Linux?

Aaron Powers caaronpowers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 15:36:10 PDT 2011

I've run several eQUEST models in Linux using WINE.  I've actually never had
a crash with it, but I expect to  have some in the future.  My experience
with eQUEST crashes has usually been either:
- I overloaded the memory while it's trying to do the 3D rendering of a
large building or entering custom zone names for a large building.
- There is an inp input which is not caught as an error by the BDL
processor, so DOE2.2 crashes during run-time.
The second error is a user error having nothing to do with the operating
system, but I would guess that the first error is more likely if you're
running eQUEST from Linux simply because there's redundant overhead demand
from both the native OS and WINE.  The advantage to running Linux is that
all of the anscillary programs you might be running with eQUEST will be much
faster.

Has anyone tried running EQuest under WINE in Linux?  I have had a little
luck, some crashes, but I've had crashes and lockups under Windows as well
so it may be no different.  Has anyone been successful?