[Equest-users] Process heat exchanger

Dave Weigel dave.weigel at thewattdoctors.com
Fri Apr 6 06:42:21 PDT 2012

Hi again group,

I must model a process heat exchanger (actually, several of them).  They
take chilled water from the building HVAC plant.  I am considering modeling
the loads as internal plug loads in a space of their own with no exposures,
lights, people, or any other additional load.  I will cool that space with a
two-pipe fan coil unit, no outdoor air, to get the heat into the chilled
water loop.  I'll set up the fan power to match what the actual designed
pump power will be for the heat exchanger.  I'll explain this all with my
LEED documentation and include the calculation of fan power versus pump
power.  The loads don't vary when they are on, so I don't have to worry
about the differences in fan curve versus pump curve in eQuest.

Do you think this is the best way to handle these heat-exchanger loads?  Do
you think it'll fly through a LEED review?

Thanks for any experience or opinions!

Dave

David R. Weigel, PE
Member / President