[Equest-users] Advice on modelling nine story atrium acrossshells

Jeremy McClanathan jmcclanathan at CDiengineers.com
Mon Apr 2 14:26:27 PDT 2012

If CFD isn't an option, one other eQuest option would be to break the atrium up into one conditioned, and one or more plenums (TYPE = PLENUM, not UNCONDITIONED).  Make an assumption about how much load is displaced or only present in the plenum portion of the atrium.  Then, put a portion of the glazing and loads in the plenum(s).  You might for example assume that the bottom two floors are one conditioned zone, and the top seven floors are a large plenum.  I believe the air in the plenum should pick up the heat from the glazing and loads placed in it.   I would be cautious about using eQuest to predict what will actually happen in an atrium though.
Jeremy

Jeremy McClanathan, P.E., BEMP, HFDP, LEED(r) AP BD+C
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD10DB.37C9D9B0]
4200 194th St SW, Ste 200, Lynnwood, WA 98036
P 425-672-1071 | F 425-778-8769

From: CleanTech Analytics [mailto:jeremiah at cleantechanalytics.com]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 2:06 PM
To: Jason Quinn
Cc: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] Advice on modelling nine story atrium across shells

Sounds like a task that would be better done with single zone and analysed using CFD to me..
Possibly use a CFD program then use insight to work around your Equest model..

Jeremiah D. Crossett
CleanTech Analytics
503-688-8951
www.cleantechanalytics.com<http://www.cleantechanalytics.com>

[http://cleantechanalytics.com/images/stories/cleantech%20analytics%20120.PNG]

This document may contain valuable information proprietary to CleanTech Analytics which is private and confidential. It may not be shared, copied, stored or transmitted in any form without the prior written consent of CleanTech Analytics