[Equest-users] Removing unmet heating hours or the space heating consumption from the energy model

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Apr 11 06:46:13 PDT 2012

Neeraj,

There are many adjustments you can make to address the performance of your VAV system in eQUEST. You didn't describe how many unmet hours you have or what you have tried already. Unmet heating hours can result from underheating, but also from overcooling. Depending on what you change in the model, you might end up increasing your heating energy, or you can end up reducing both cooling and heating energy. Here are a few things to try:

·         Enter a value for the system REHEAT-DELTA-T. Leaving this blank can result in thousands of unmet heating hours.

·         Set the system COOL-CONTROL to something other than CONSTANT, provided the system you are modeling has the controls capability. I have had success  with WARMEST and RESET.

·         If you change COOL-CONTROL to COLDEST or WARMEST, increase the zone THROTTLING-RANGE from the default 2°R (2°F). 4°-6° is recommended. You can start with 3° and increase by 0.5° to see how the unmet hours change. If you are comparing two models or two system types, keep the same throttling range in both models to make it a fair comparison.

·         Adjust air flow rates, such as your system and/or zonal MIN-FLOW-RATIO.
Search the archives here: http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/
You could always post your .inp and .pd2 files and someone might look at your model.

Regards,
Bill