[Equest-users] EEM vs. new model

Dave Bastow dbastow at mcclure-engineering.com
Wed Apr 25 08:05:48 PDT 2012

You just need to make sure and get all the inputs input equally realistic
for both models to get a true comparison.  Often times you will find that a
DX system is more efficient, in particular, if you are using a VRF system
that utilizes VFD's on all the fans and the compressors, with HRV/DCV
outdoor air system utilizing design economizer and with tight DDC variable
control of all zones and systems.  A chiller/boiler system always has pump
power, that uses additional power, that has to be overcome.  That said, a
chiller system, if put together with an evaporative condenser or cooling
tower, with evaporative, so called, "free cooling", economizer, with VFD's
on pumps/fans/compressors, VAV system, great variable control of chilled
water and hot water for zone control, might have equal or lower energy use
than a VRF system and may have great control.  Often the first cost of
chiller boiler system is higher.  Both can be great systems, depending on
how they are set up and controlled.

David A. Bastow

McClure Engineering, Inc.