[Equest-users] DHW Heat Pumps

Daniel Wright dwright2 at pratt.edu
Thu Aug 2 07:53:51 PDT 2012

Hello all,

I'm trying to include a DHW heat pump into some of my models and am
confused about some of the results I'm seeing. It seems that the only
option for DHW heat pumps in eQuest is that the heater and its condenser
are together on the same unit (no split/external condenser). This seems
fine, but I thought that if this is the case, then the annual heating and
cooling energy use should be affected by the DHW heat pump. In particular
it seems that in winter the space heating energy use should go up since the
DHW heat pump is extracting heat from the space it's in, requiring the HVAC
system to provide more heat, and in summer the space cooling energy use
should go down for the same reason. But I see no change in the heating or
cooling energy when we run the DHW heat pump.

Can someone explain why this is the case? Am I missing something?

Dan