[Equest-users] u-values

tim tim.jrga at fuse.net
Thu Aug 30 08:40:30 PDT 2012

I let my eQuest model generate U-values (see LV-I report - page 2 of
attached pdf)

The U-values don't seem to make any sense.  The LV-I report says a door has
a U-value of 2.080.

I looked up hollow metal insulated doors on the internet and found one that
has a value of 0.16.

Why is there such a difference?

I know how to change u-values in detailed edit mode, but wonder what
experience others have had with determining what U-values should be used.

I used an online calculator to find the u-value for a wall like mine (also
attached).

Having trouble figuring out how to determine/ enter u-value for a roof
assembly that is a trussed attic with insulation above ceiling as well as
others.

I also realize ASHRAE has basic u-values listed, but my leed reviewer
commented saying ASHRAE U-values should be used only if the actual U-values
are unknown.  I assume this means if the makeup of a wall or assembly cannot
be determined.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Timothy W. Hill

tim.JRGA at fuse.net