[Equest-users] DHW Heat Pumps

Robby Oylear robbyoylear at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 08:15:57 PDT 2012

Even if you define the space it's in (see the LOCATION parameter), the help
file indicates that no losses from the tank UA are attributed to the actual
zone load.  I agree with Yoni that eQUEST is not smart enough to do this
calculation for you.

If you felt like getting more complicated you may be able to determine the
cooling load that should be attributed to the space from the heat pump
through hourly reporting, then create a custom 8,760 hourly schedule using
Rocky Mountain Institute's energy modeling input translator tool.  You
could then apply the load to the space through the internal loads tab and
give it a negative Internal Energy Source with TYPE = PROCESS.  I haven't
verified if negative values under this input actually count as cooling
loads, but it should be fairly simple for you to test it out.

Robby Oylear, PE, LEED AP

*Mechanical Engineer*

*Senior Energy Analyst*

* *