[Equest-users] Existing Building, LEED NC

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Thu Aug 2 13:39:02 PDT 2012

I agree and suggest you model the common wall (#1) as adiabatic, assuming no services will cross the wall and all the spaces are currently conditioned spaces.  If you have an air, water, or refrigerant system serving both sides of the wall, you will have to take the whole system.  And if you are converting a semiheated or unconditioned space, use some judgment on the baseline envelope.

As a tangent, we may need to improve the definitions of conditioned space in ASHRAE 90.1.  Classifying conditioned/semiheated/unconditioned based on the output capacity of the heating equipment seems problematic, especially for the hyper-insulating & Passive House devotees.

Happy modeling.

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP BD+C
Associate / Mechanical
DUNHAM