[Equest-users] Morning warm-up in eQuest

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 11 10:19:00 PST 2012

I have not tried this in eQuest, but from field observations, the typical
morning warm-up sequence, especially for Trane rooftop units with factory
controls is as follows:

The OA damper goes to the minimum position.
The VAV boxes open fully is so equipped.  In any case, somehow or another the
HVAC system provides full airflow to the zones during morning warmup or morning
cool down.
The Supply fan VFD ramps up to 60 Hz.
The gas heat in the rooftop unit is enabled to maintain around 85 degrees supply
air temperature.

After the zones meet the zone set-points, the unit returns to cooling mode and
the VAV dampers will modulate accordingly.

I would think in eQuest, the VAV boxes should open fully since the zones are
below set-point.  I would use a schedule to define the supply air set-point.  I
think you can also use a schedule to define the supply fan speed.

I would be interested to hear how you solve this problem.

 Paul Diglio, CEM, CBCP

87 Fairmont Avenue
New Haven, CT  06513
203-415-0082